Reading is one of the most important tools (an effective instrument) of language learning
Some important viewpoints with respect to reading:
- We should read books we are interested in. Doing so we keep being motivated in solving the task and read through the book. Since reading is an offline activity, new words can be searched back within the text (and you can repeat them), you can go back to grammatical structures of sentences or to previous pages in order to learn expressions in the context.
- We should read texts that match our own knowledge level. If we are on beginner level now, it is better to choose texts of children’s books because they contain short paragraphs, short sentences and dialogues.
- Short readings for graded readers are also good choices because they cover vocabulary by knowledge level including different numbers of words regardless of language. Penguin Readers, Dominoes and Bookworms Readers series are higly recommended to learners of English language. Dominoes book series is written and edited for younger age-group by topics and structures, the publications of Bookworms are written for older age-group. These books are available electronically, they can be downloaded to mobile phones.
- While reading, you do not have to lexiconize all unknown words, however, it is important to consider the context in order to understand what they mean. The key expressions should be lexiconized and they can be memorized easier within the context.
- When we have practice in simple stories, we can step further and go on with novels. It is better to choose a novel that we know, we saw on film or read it in mother language.
- If realistic works are closer to us, we can choose newspapers or blogs in foreign languages.
- Last but not least, learners who cannot read stories in a foreign language can listen to audio books. The shortened readings recommended above can be downloaded from publishers’ websites or they are available on CDs. Listening to them we can increase vocabulary and improve
- our pronunciation as well.
Registration for natural and legal persons:
free of charge / 12 months
Administration fee of registration reader card:
HUF 200 / 12 months
Daily card: HUF 1100 / day
Borrowing privileges in one library:
HUF 4600 / 12 months
HUF 3500 / 6 months
HUF 2500 / 3 months
Establishment of membership for using all branches simultaneously:
HUF 9500 / 12 months
HUF 6600 / 6 months